NetGalley, LLC ('We') are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the 'Act'), we are the data controller.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site www.bookishfirst.com ('our site') or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or at BookishFirst events or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site and receive our newsletter, subscribe to our service, search for a product, place an order on our site, participate in discussion boards or forums, provide a book impression or review, use the social media functions associated with our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, or use other activities or services we may add to our site, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph, gender, date of birth, family details, employment and education details, reading habits and preferences and other information that at times may be requested or volunteered.
Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), other information about your activities on our site, and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, advertising networks, analytics providers, search information providers, credit reference agencies) and may receive information about you from them.
- "DSID" Doubleclick ID, see https://policies.google.com/technologies/types (duration 14 days*)
- "IDE" Doubleclick ID, see https://policies.google.com/technologies/types (duration 434 days*)
- "_gid" Google Analytics (GA) Tracking ID, see https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage (duration 24 hours*)
- "-gat-UA-48223844-3" GA Performance Throttling (duration 1 minute*)
- "-ga" Used to distinguish users (duration 2 years*)
- "optimizelyBuckets" Optimizely Test-Variant shown to user, see https://help.optimizely.com/Set_Up_Optimizely/Cookies_and_localStorage_in_the_Optimizely_snippet (duration 10 years*)
- "optimizelySegments" Optimizely Segments for test (duration 10 years*)
- "optimizelyEndUserId" Optimizely User Id (duration 10 years*)
- "-vorablesen-session" Session ID for App, managing user login status. encrypted information (duration unlimited)
- "cookieconsent_dismissed" When the cookie consent banner clicked. (duration 365 days)
- "remember-user-token" Encrypted user identifier for automatic login. (duration 14 days)
- "AMP TOKEN" Contains a token that can be used to retrieve a client ID from AMP client ID service. (duration 30 seconds to 1 year)
- "gac" Contains campaign related information for the user (duration 90 days)
- NB times marked * are approx. and can be changed by cookie issuer any time.
- To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you with your permission, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you;
- to notify you about changes to our service; and
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you; and
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
- We may share your personal information with any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you; for example, if you are a book raffle winner we will need to share your name, postal address and if necessary email address with the books’ publisher so that they can post or digitally transmit your book prize;
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others, with your permission; and
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our site.
- 'MailChimp' who manage the delivery of our newsletter as well as analysis of the open rate of this newsletter. MailChimp is part of The Rocket Science Group, LLC, 512 Means Street, Ste 404 Atlanta, GA 30318, USA. This company is a member of the Safe Harbor Agreement, a special data protection agreement between the European Union and the United States. For more information about privacy policies MailChimp, go to http://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/ .
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- if NetGalley, LLC or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets;
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
- All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorized access.
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise the right at any time by contacting us at BookishFirstHelp@Bookish.com.
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, publishers, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognize and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognize you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalize our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and any advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site. Cookies can also be managed in the Usercentrics consent management platform that we use.